Followers Do tag here to follow my latest posting

MikeBirder - Malaysian Birds

Hi

Welcome to my Malaysian Birding Blog. I migrated to blogspot.com as my blog at multiply.com closed shop in 2012. I wish to showcase all Malaysian birds that I have photographed whether here or overseas. My countdown of lifers started in 2005. Coming to Oct 2022 my countdown of lifers photograph has reached
559/688 species of birds of Malaysia in photos.

My shooting gear was a EF400mm f4 DO lens and Canon 7D body which to me is the ideal setup for mobility and bird chasing at that time. Eventhen the weight over my shoulder is more that 5.5 kg. As of June 2016 I have also acquired a Fuji XF 100-400mm OIS lens to complement my travelling cum birding trip overseas. My Fuji X-T2 went kaput recently and I upgraded to the X-T5 in 2023 ; the weight over my shoulder is much lighter now by 30%. In December 2018 I acquired the Nikon Coolpix P1000 as supplementary camera for distance shooting of 3000mm.
Fuji have finally made available their new XF 200-600mm lens which I yet to decide to spend another RM10,000. As for Fuji body I will stop with X-T5 36megapixel ..........

I am a weekend birder. Do feel free to drop me a line at mikebirding@gmail.com and I see whether you can tag along in my outings. My usual day trip is just an hour ride away to Hulu Langat, Lancang, Kemensah, Krau, Awana, Hulu Kali, Gombak Ole Road, Fraser's Hill , Bukit Tinggi and KSNP & Coastal Sg Janggut Jeram side of the coast . Overnite trip to Merapoh & Cameron, Air Hitam and further north to Kuala Sidim is a seldom affair but for lifer we travel. Panti in Johor is another good birding site that I yet to go. Then there are the Borneo birds of Sabah and Sarawak of Malaysia which I seriously much go to chalk up more lifers. This I did in 2018 to Sepilok Sandakan and Kinabalu Park. Next Danum and LahatDatu.......

WARNING Birding is an addiction once you started its hard to stop. The wifey and children are now birding widow and orphan.

ALL PHOTOS IN THIS BLOG ARE COPYRIGHT OF MIKEBIRDER. KINDLY SEEK PERMISSION FROM THE OWNER IF YOU want to use them for commercial purposes.

Translate

Search for Malaysian Bird Photos

Tuesday 2 July 2013

GROUND BIRD 2/15 - Mountain Peacock-pheasant

 
 
Mountain Peacock-pheasant 

The opportunity came in the  guidance of Dr Chan and Sharon. As a courtesy I asked him if I can join him eventhough I was first on site with the same intention to see the MPP. He was  reluctance of sort but I am not taking it hands down so I insist my desire to be there whether they like it or not. Sharon was ok though. In the end both of us  walk off as friends as we exchange calling cards.

 The wee morning in Bukit Tinggi experience a drizzle which sort of muffled our present and clicking of our camera.  The gregarious pheasants are very sensitive to human presence and will scoot away if they felt threatened. So no multiple shots, flash and remember to put the camera into silent mode shooting if your camera has one. A hide is a necessity. As for me  I stayed behind their hide using my poncho and lie low using the surrounding. It work! We got a good window of 15-20 minutes to snap away but only a handful of shots were sharp enuf for posting as  I was shooting at speed of 1/30 ISO1600 in the low light condition.






It is currently only known to be found in central Peninsular Malaysia, although there is growing evidence of its presence in extreme southern Thailand. So it is endemic to Malaysia and can be found in the Main Range from the Cameron Highlands south to the Genting Highlands, in the Larut Range to the north-west, and on eastern outlying peaks Gunung Tahan and Gunung Benom. There are recent records from at least 12 localities, at two of which it has been described as common. Total numbers are likely to be small, owing to its highly restricted range and general relative scarcity within it. At present, the population is believed to be declining slowly.





 Mountain Peacock-pheasant, also known as Rothschild's Peacock-pheasant or Mirror Pheasant is a medium-sized ground bird. It can grow up to 65cm long, greyish brown pheasant with small ocelli and long graduated tail feathers. Both sexes are similar. The male has metallic blue ocelli on upperparts,  green ocelli on tail of twenty feathers and two spurs on legs. Female has black ocelli on upperparts, unspurred legs and tail of eighteen feathers. The female is smaller and duller than male.
 
 
 
The diet consists mainly of berries, beetles, worms, ants and all sort of critters and crawlies they find on the ground.
 







It is sedentary in lower and upper montane evergreen forest, including elfin forest, from c.820 m to at least 1,600 m, and was once found at 1,800 m. It is usually found in steep areas or along ridges with exposed corestones, some bamboo and climbing palms. It is less vocal than other members of the genus, and is hence less easily detectable.


Revisited the place November 2015 Managed to show the male (picture below)  this time at close quarters.

No comments:

Post a Comment