Followers Do tag here to follow my latest posting

MikeBirder - Malaysian Birds

Hi

Welcome to my Malaysian Birding Blog. I migrated to blogspot.com as my blog at multiply.com closed shop in 2012. I wish to showcase all Malaysian birds that I have photographed whether here or overseas. My countdown of lifers started in 2005. Coming to Oct 2022 my countdown of lifers photograph has reached
559/688 species of birds of Malaysia in photos.

My shooting gear was a EF400mm f4 DO lens and Canon 7D body which to me is the ideal setup for mobility and bird chasing at that time. Eventhen the weight over my shoulder is more that 5.5 kg. As of June 2016 I have also acquired a Fuji XF 100-400mm OIS lens to complement my travelling cum birding trip overseas. My Fuji X-T2 went kaput recently and I upgraded to the X-T5 in 2023 ; the weight over my shoulder is much lighter now by 30%. In December 2018 I acquired the Nikon Coolpix P1000 as supplementary camera for distance shooting of 3000mm.
Fuji have finally made available their new XF 200-600mm lens which I yet to decide to spend another RM10,000. As for Fuji body I will stop with X-T5 36megapixel ..........

I am a weekend birder. Do feel free to drop me a line at mikebirding@gmail.com and I see whether you can tag along in my outings. My usual day trip is just an hour ride away to Hulu Langat, Lancang, Kemensah, Krau, Awana, Hulu Kali, Gombak Ole Road, Fraser's Hill , Bukit Tinggi and KSNP & Coastal Sg Janggut Jeram side of the coast . Overnite trip to Merapoh & Cameron, Air Hitam and further north to Kuala Sidim is a seldom affair but for lifer we travel. Panti in Johor is another good birding site that I yet to go. Then there are the Borneo birds of Sabah and Sarawak of Malaysia which I seriously much go to chalk up more lifers. This I did in 2018 to Sepilok Sandakan and Kinabalu Park. Next Danum and LahatDatu.......

WARNING Birding is an addiction once you started its hard to stop. The wifey and children are now birding widow and orphan.

ALL PHOTOS IN THIS BLOG ARE COPYRIGHT OF MIKEBIRDER. KINDLY SEEK PERMISSION FROM THE OWNER IF YOU want to use them for commercial purposes.

Translate

Search for Malaysian Bird Photos

Wednesday 18 July 2018

Avian Photo Gear - Testing the Kipon EF-FX Lens converter


Kipon have come out with their EF-FX AF version adaptor for Canon EF lens to Fuji mount  recently. May 2018 the Kipon AF adapter is in  stock at YL Camera. Price was slightly RM1000 which is much cheaper by 30-40% that the  price of Metabones. So just pop over from my office to check it out. My testing gear was my EF400mm F4 DO USM IS Mark1 lens on my current body Fuji XT-2 of 2 years old. My main objective is to  test whether my telephoto lens pairing up with a  EF 1.4 X mark3  teleconverter is useable.  This setup was to get better reach of 600mm x 1.5 = 900mm on my  1.5 cropped sensor Fuji  body.

Distance of shot is about 50-60 ft in the shop.  Firstly on the Auto Focusing in low light and low contrast condition focusing was a  frustrating hunting affair and as such it is definately not good for my bird photography purpose.  Even when it manage to focus the photo  the shots were rather soft and blurry as shown in the photos below. Looks like it a no go for me to  purchase the item.



Next I tried out the Kipon  adapter without the 1.4x teleconverter, the focusing is still an issue but much better but then I was shooting at a shorter distance of 30-40 ft. Basing on the 3 shoots below I must say the case is a miss and hit situation. Possibility that my telelens is not properly suited to Fuji Af algorithm as the focus confirmation indicated otherwise...........




At a nearer target of 30 ft and on contrasting subject I got much improved shots as shown below in term of focussing and sharpness. Please note that my finding here  relates to bird photography and  the performance of Kipon adapter would be different for other EF L lenses.  So for the moment  I have to wait for a better birding solution...................




No comments:

Post a Comment