Followers Do tag here to follow my latest posting

MikeBirder - Malaysian Birds

Hi

Welcome to my Malaysian Birding Blog. I migrated to blogspot.com as my blog at multiply.com closed shop in 2012. I wish to showcase all Malaysian birds that I have photographed whether here or overseas. My countdown of lifers started in 2005. Coming to Oct 2022 my countdown of lifers photograph has reached
559/688 species of birds of Malaysia in photos.

My shooting gear was a EF400mm f4 DO lens and Canon 7D body which to me is the ideal setup for mobility and bird chasing at that time. Eventhen the weight over my shoulder is more that 5.5 kg. As of June 2016 I have also acquired a Fuji XF 100-400mm OIS lens to complement my travelling cum birding trip overseas. My Fuji X-T2 went kaput recently and I upgraded to the X-T5 in 2023 ; the weight over my shoulder is much lighter now by 30%. In December 2018 I acquired the Nikon Coolpix P1000 as supplementary camera for distance shooting of 3000mm.
Fuji have finally made available their new XF 200-600mm lens which I yet to decide to spend another RM10,000. As for Fuji body I will stop with X-T5 36megapixel ..........

I am a weekend birder. Do feel free to drop me a line at mikebirding@gmail.com and I see whether you can tag along in my outings. My usual day trip is just an hour ride away to Hulu Langat, Lancang, Kemensah, Krau, Awana, Hulu Kali, Gombak Ole Road, Fraser's Hill , Bukit Tinggi and KSNP & Coastal Sg Janggut Jeram side of the coast . Overnite trip to Merapoh & Cameron, Air Hitam and further north to Kuala Sidim is a seldom affair but for lifer we travel. Panti in Johor is another good birding site that I yet to go. Then there are the Borneo birds of Sabah and Sarawak of Malaysia which I seriously much go to chalk up more lifers. This I did in 2018 to Sepilok Sandakan and Kinabalu Park. Next Danum and LahatDatu.......

WARNING Birding is an addiction once you started its hard to stop. The wifey and children are now birding widow and orphan.

ALL PHOTOS IN THIS BLOG ARE COPYRIGHT OF MIKEBIRDER. KINDLY SEEK PERMISSION FROM THE OWNER IF YOU want to use them for commercial purposes.

Translate

Search for Malaysian Bird Photos

Sunday 15 December 2019

Cuckoo 14/15 - Asian Emerald Cuckoo (lifer 528)

 Yes Finally the cuckoo is in the basket!!! It was amazing find in Penang. I thought it will not stay long but when Den and ZF got it during the day before; I change plan to give it a try on the weekend with my family in tow. Earlier I was to stop at Langkap to catch Zhong's finds.

Upon arrival at 8.30am many people were already patiently waiting for its appearance. Normally it lands high up in a particularly tree (apparently there were hairy caterpillars festing -  Tussock moths caterpillars) next to a stream. First to get it as usual is Zhong and I was already hopeful its still around. Then after half an hour of waiting patiently one of the fellow birder shouted across the stream that the bird is there. There were hysteria rush to the spot . Can you imagine the excitement when 15 of us running  with the youngest one  a 11 year ole  with her P900 I think.


Took off my sandal to cross the sandy stream as it was the shortest route to be one of the first on the spot whilst the others took the bridge. I was ecstatic to sight the bird high up a bamboo outcrop almost vertically for the first time in my life. As usual record shots were taken as proof of lifer no matter how high.

So it was a merry chase around the open ground for a good 15-30 minutes as the guys shoot to their heart content. It did come down as low as 20 ft where many of us got the above shots. Within an hour of the encounter. I left the vicinity to go makan-makan and visiting Penang with my family. The nearest stop was Pulau Tikus market for their street food and local delicacies.



This cuckoo was previous reported seen by Dr Amar in Tambun who never share his finding about 2 years back I think. This fellow have his own reason and bird ethic for not sharing or divulge its locale......... so do not vilify him..............For my lifer : thanks Capt  for your tip off. 

They breed in Himalaya  Myammar  Northen Thailand till China but not in Malaysia. If there is a pair I believe we may see a brood  in Penang liao. Cuckoo is a brood parasite, its been recorded  the females lay their eggs in the nests of other birds, such as the crimson sunbird (Aethopyga siparaja) and the little spiderhunter (Arachnothera longirostra). They usually found at forest fringes amongst fruiting orchards or garden suburbs where there is plenty of caterpillars. During our encounter here it was seen sallying for flying insects.






The Asian emerald cuckoo mainly forages in the upper levels of the canopy where it feeds on insects and other small
invertebrates, including ants, caterpillars and bugs. 









The Asian emerald cuckoo grows to a length of about 7 inches. The adult male has an iridescent dark green head, upper parts and upper breast, a white lower breast and a green barred belly. Bare skin round the eye is orange and the beak is orange/yellow tipped with black. The adult female has coppery-green upper parts, rusty brown crown and nape and green-barred underparts. Both sexes show a white band on the underwing when in flight. The underparts of the juvenile male lack the white lower breast and are more heavily barred. The voice is a “chweek” uttered while flying, and various whistled twitters.

The crowd of birders from near and far were there chasing this tiny little bird. The cuckoo  do not looked stressed by the attention given by us birders  while it was  hunting for flying insects.


 On Sunday after;  it was reported that a male cuckoo also showed up and guess who was there......Zhong;  he really got the bird luck and perseverance  Never in my mind that there is a pair there, I think it is not too late for other birders  to try out their luck to see this wonderful bird in Malaysia.


BIRD LUCK TO YOU!!!


UPDATE: 20.12.19 The male cuckoo is still around PBG This photo courtesy from my good buddy Alan T taken last weekend. As I said the birds are  there for awhile. So guys do take the effort to shoot if you have not chalkup this lifer.

 I hope they stay away from the Scops Owl which was also seen there





No comments:

Post a Comment