Followers Do tag here to follow my latest posting

MikeBirder - Malaysian Birds

Hi

Welcome to my Malaysian Birding Blog. I migrated to blogspot.com as my blog at multiply.com closed shop in 2012. I wish to showcase all Malaysian birds that I have photographed whether here or overseas. My countdown of lifers started in 2005. Coming to Oct 2022 my countdown of lifers photograph has reached
559/688 species of birds of Malaysia in photos.

My shooting gear was a EF400mm f4 DO lens and Canon 7D body which to me is the ideal setup for mobility and bird chasing at that time. Eventhen the weight over my shoulder is more that 5.5 kg. As of June 2016 I have also acquired a Fuji XF 100-400mm OIS lens to complement my travelling cum birding trip overseas. My Fuji X-T2 went kaput recently and I upgraded to the X-T5 in 2023 ; the weight over my shoulder is much lighter now by 30%. In December 2018 I acquired the Nikon Coolpix P1000 as supplementary camera for distance shooting of 3000mm.
Fuji have finally made available their new XF 200-600mm lens which I yet to decide to spend another RM10,000. As for Fuji body I will stop with X-T5 36megapixel ..........

I am a weekend birder. Do feel free to drop me a line at mikebirding@gmail.com and I see whether you can tag along in my outings. My usual day trip is just an hour ride away to Hulu Langat, Lancang, Kemensah, Krau, Awana, Hulu Kali, Gombak Ole Road, Fraser's Hill , Bukit Tinggi and KSNP & Coastal Sg Janggut Jeram side of the coast . Overnite trip to Merapoh & Cameron, Air Hitam and further north to Kuala Sidim is a seldom affair but for lifer we travel. Panti in Johor is another good birding site that I yet to go. Then there are the Borneo birds of Sabah and Sarawak of Malaysia which I seriously much go to chalk up more lifers. This I did in 2018 to Sepilok Sandakan and Kinabalu Park. Next Danum and LahatDatu.......

WARNING Birding is an addiction once you started its hard to stop. The wifey and children are now birding widow and orphan.

ALL PHOTOS IN THIS BLOG ARE COPYRIGHT OF MIKEBIRDER. KINDLY SEEK PERMISSION FROM THE OWNER IF YOU want to use them for commercial purposes.

Translate

Search for Malaysian Bird Photos

Monday 16 September 2013

WADER 43/60 - Ruddy Turnstone

Ruddy Turnstone

A stocky, brightly patterned shorebird, the Ruddy Turnstone can be seen actively pecking, probing, and flipping over stones along rocky shores or mudflats.

The Ruddy Turnstone is a stocky medium-sized wader with short orange-red legs. The bill is wedge-shaped and slightly up-tilted. The breast is distinctively marked with black or brown and pale areas, almost like tortoise shell, with a white breast. The brown upperparts turn a rich reddish-brown when breeding and the bands on the face and neck turn black. In flight there is a distinctive black and white pattern.

After breeding in the northern hemisphere, Ruddy Turnstones migrate south. There are five breeding populations. The birds migrating to Australia breed in east Siberia and west Alaska, moving through south-east Asia then south to Australia. Some birds appear to migrate south across the Pacific Ocean, island-hopping to the east coast and to New Zealand, probably returning north again via east Asia. They visit Australia from about September to May. On the way down some stop by along the coastal mudflats of peninsula Malaysia.

 

 
The stocky body and duck like shape is conspicuous of  Turnstone




 Non-breeding is plainer in plumage seen here
 
Ruddy Turnstones feed busily, by probing, pecking and poking into cracks. They turn over stones and seaweed to find sand hoppers, crustaceans, molluscs and spiders. They sometimes eat eggs and carrion (dead things), feeding by day and night. Ruddy Turnstones have a  strong, wedge-shaped bills and pointed at the tip to turn over rocks and seaweed.

No comments:

Post a Comment