Followers Do tag here to follow my latest posting

MikeBirder - Malaysian Birds

Hi

Welcome to my Malaysian Birding Blog. I migrated to blogspot.com as my blog at multiply.com closed shop in 2012. I wish to showcase all Malaysian birds that I have photographed whether here or overseas. My countdown of lifers started in 2005. Coming to Oct 2022 my countdown of lifers photograph has reached
559/688 species of birds of Malaysia in photos.

My shooting gear was a EF400mm f4 DO lens and Canon 7D body which to me is the ideal setup for mobility and bird chasing at that time. Eventhen the weight over my shoulder is more that 5.5 kg. As of June 2016 I have also acquired a Fuji XF 100-400mm OIS lens to complement my travelling cum birding trip overseas. My Fuji X-T2 went kaput recently and I upgraded to the X-T5 in 2023 ; the weight over my shoulder is much lighter now by 30%. In December 2018 I acquired the Nikon Coolpix P1000 as supplementary camera for distance shooting of 3000mm.
Fuji have finally made available their new XF 200-600mm lens which I yet to decide to spend another RM10,000. As for Fuji body I will stop with X-T5 36megapixel ..........

I am a weekend birder. Do feel free to drop me a line at mikebirding@gmail.com and I see whether you can tag along in my outings. My usual day trip is just an hour ride away to Hulu Langat, Lancang, Kemensah, Krau, Awana, Hulu Kali, Gombak Ole Road, Fraser's Hill , Bukit Tinggi and KSNP & Coastal Sg Janggut Jeram side of the coast . Overnite trip to Merapoh & Cameron, Air Hitam and further north to Kuala Sidim is a seldom affair but for lifer we travel. Panti in Johor is another good birding site that I yet to go. Then there are the Borneo birds of Sabah and Sarawak of Malaysia which I seriously much go to chalk up more lifers. This I did in 2018 to Sepilok Sandakan and Kinabalu Park. Next Danum and LahatDatu.......

WARNING Birding is an addiction once you started its hard to stop. The wifey and children are now birding widow and orphan.

ALL PHOTOS IN THIS BLOG ARE COPYRIGHT OF MIKEBIRDER. KINDLY SEEK PERMISSION FROM THE OWNER IF YOU want to use them for commercial purposes.

Translate

Search for Malaysian Bird Photos

Wednesday 10 June 2015

AVIAN FIELD REPORT 10/100 - Overnight Trip to TAMAN NEGARA Part 1


This is my third trip to Taman Negara forest Merapoh side (before Gua Musang) from Kuala Lipis. Those coming from the North usually takes the Grik side. I missed the MNS Selangor trip to Kuala Tahan- Sg Koh at the same time. This was on the request of Dr Rahul and so invited Mowsum to join me on this trip. My target lifer was of course the Large Frogmouth.  For both my buddies in crime - picture below in action;  they  got their target Garnet Pitta and in the case of  Dr R most of the  birds he got  are lifers.......lol

We booked 2 nights at Pekan Merapoh dormitory runned by SGI Outdoor in advance. The Perhilitan Chalets are still close citing refurbish. Hello its been 2 years! For the shophouse converted "barrack" at RM25 per pax per nite; we cannot complain about the basic single toilet, bunker bed, noisy fan and traffic noise.  Better bring some beer to drowse yourself for a better sleep lol.

Anyway we started our journey late at 8 am no thanks to my buddy who got caught in traffic to our rendezvous at Zoo Negara. Travelling thru Bentong we reached Merapoh outskirt at about close to 11.30am. Packing & checking in was a breeze and then reaching the Perhilitan office minutes pass noon to pay entrance & camera fees which remains the same for the past years. Rahman was his usual chatty self and took his time to issue the receipts. On that Friday  & Saturday we were the only guys birding along the trail but interruption of hikers and army of  team building group was something a novelty as they get the opportunity to take selfie photos with their handphones with us with our bazookas .

Bird life as you can see from my collection of photos was somewhat brisk and busy as it is time of the year for breeding for many of the avian jungle dwellers.

On Sunday morning we  met the threesome of Terence, Danny and Chin who are on a day trip to catch the Pittas. There were unfortunate as the place was getting crowded when another  group of 6 supposedly from Perak dropped by  for the same intent. Alas the Pittas was a no show at the spot we got the Garnet in the morning before. I guess they are still happy to see their Lifer of the Black-capped Babbler......I think. So here are my  better catch of the trip with many blurred species of the Yellow & Black Broadbills, Leafbirds and Sunbirds which I am paiseh to post.

I like to report that the weather for  May is erratic in Merapoh. The devastating flood here in Gua Musang in late December 2014 have not cause damage to the forest here.. We got downpour the entire Friday night thus we wasted one night to hunt for nocturnal birds. So if you are coming here please check the weather forecast. On Sat night we set out early, pack our dinner and prayed  the sky hold back the rain. That night we were happy  as the resident  Large Frogmouth make an appearance.

The pair of Rufous-winged Philentoma and a fledgling was sighted.  There were also other coupling Bulbuls pairs and post nesting feeding of  Sunbirds. There were 2 nesting of Bronze Drongos that we sighted along the main road. So I must say the bird activity is happening here.



The Brown barbet was seen with beakful of seeds to feed its hatchling. It was weary of our presence and dare not approach its nest. We waited until it departed into the trees.








Then later in the evening session at the feeding station we saw the Male Black-capped Babbler presenting its easy catch to the Female. This is an act of courting for most birds There are many pairs of bulbuls in courting session but not in nest making stage as yet.


The Drongo as shown in the following picture is feeding its days old hatchling. At one time we saw the Male on guard duty attacked a bulbul which got too close to the nest and for that encroachment it lost some feathers. The lovely APFC was a bonus on the last hour  walk back home. There were plenty of other birds species calling but high in the canopy which we cannot get any good pictures nor ID. And yes the Argus was calling in the wee morning for the 2 days we were there.





































The Ferruginous Babbler was a surprise bird for me to see at close quarters at the feeding station.  Its was a fine specimen indeed. We only managed to call out a pair of Scarlet-rumped Trogon but not the Red-naped. Nearer the Bridge; there were 2 gorgeous  Fairy Bluebirds wooing the female bird with their chattering calls........


The Whiskered Treeswift was too high for my 400mm to get a good shot. This was at the former swamp land pass the Gajah crossing. Very sad that they have  filled up the  natural watershed habitat.  Saturday the Rangers reported some Bantengs were crossing the road at about 1.30 pm. A single Bull Elephant also pass by the route in the late afternoon as reported by the ranger a day before. So guys be alert if you wonder into the trails to avoid any confrontation.













The yellow-vented flowerpecker was shot at the HQ compound. Notice the Indian Cherries are still green..............thinking of the scarlet breasted now.

No comments:

Post a Comment