Followers Do tag here to follow my latest posting

MikeBirder - Malaysian Birds

Hi

Welcome to my Malaysian Birding Blog. I migrated to blogspot.com as my blog at multiply.com closed shop in 2012. I wish to showcase all Malaysian birds that I have photographed whether here or overseas. My countdown of lifers started in 2005. Coming to Oct 2022 my countdown of lifers photograph has reached
559/688 species of birds of Malaysia in photos.

My shooting gear was a EF400mm f4 DO lens and Canon 7D body which to me is the ideal setup for mobility and bird chasing at that time. Eventhen the weight over my shoulder is more that 5.5 kg. As of June 2016 I have also acquired a Fuji XF 100-400mm OIS lens to complement my travelling cum birding trip overseas. My Fuji X-T2 went kaput recently and I upgraded to the X-T5 in 2023 ; the weight over my shoulder is much lighter now by 30%. In December 2018 I acquired the Nikon Coolpix P1000 as supplementary camera for distance shooting of 3000mm.
Fuji have finally made available their new XF 200-600mm lens which I yet to decide to spend another RM10,000. As for Fuji body I will stop with X-T5 36megapixel ..........

I am a weekend birder. Do feel free to drop me a line at mikebirding@gmail.com and I see whether you can tag along in my outings. My usual day trip is just an hour ride away to Hulu Langat, Lancang, Kemensah, Krau, Awana, Hulu Kali, Gombak Ole Road, Fraser's Hill , Bukit Tinggi and KSNP & Coastal Sg Janggut Jeram side of the coast . Overnite trip to Merapoh & Cameron, Air Hitam and further north to Kuala Sidim is a seldom affair but for lifer we travel. Panti in Johor is another good birding site that I yet to go. Then there are the Borneo birds of Sabah and Sarawak of Malaysia which I seriously much go to chalk up more lifers. This I did in 2018 to Sepilok Sandakan and Kinabalu Park. Next Danum and LahatDatu.......

WARNING Birding is an addiction once you started its hard to stop. The wifey and children are now birding widow and orphan.

ALL PHOTOS IN THIS BLOG ARE COPYRIGHT OF MIKEBIRDER. KINDLY SEEK PERMISSION FROM THE OWNER IF YOU want to use them for commercial purposes.

Translate

Search for Malaysian Bird Photos

Monday 22 June 2015

AVIAN NESTING 5/100 - White Morph Asian Paradise Flycatcher



It was late May 2015  we were tipped off by a good birding friend. Seeing this beautiful white morph APFc sitting in its tiny little mossy nest was avian bliss. Stumbled upon it  off the trail about 800m from the bridge.  If it was the female it would be more discreet for me to notice. The nest was about 10-12 ft from the ground in a valley. So we were shooting slightly above the nest off the trail which was perfect.

So nest building may have started in early May. It appears that the location & selection for the nest is decided by the female ideally on a twin or 3 branches stump of a singular 20 mm diameter stem young tree of about 10-15 ft. The spot must be in a clearance away from  other trees and undergrowths as well as off  any trail or track. This may be to prevent predators from jumping onto their nest.  If you find drongo nesting nearby; there  is a good chance  a APFc nesting can be possibly nearby. In our case there was one about 150 meters away. It is a synergy taken to take advantage of  the drongo aggressiveness to keep predators away. 

The Asian Paradise Flycatcher is monogamous and  it is the female who do the choosing its partner. Those female who matured earlier will have the first choice of choosing the more matured male, the white morph. Those with no choice will  have to be contended with the short tail rufous Paradise Flycatcher. This assumption came about from observations from other read.

Whether the  male bird handles the nest building task by himself it is for the ornithologist to study. Not sure about this as other reports mentioned that the nest building is  done by both the adults. Multiple eggs are commonly laid in a neat cup-shaped nest, usually lined with root twine and decorated with living mosses and liverworts as camouflage.



The first hatchling was sighted on 7 June 2015 and the feeding starts immediately. Most of the initial feeding is tiny insects like flying beetle and  spider. The parents will call out and the alpha chick will response and open its mouth naturally.



My fellow birder MowSum is monitoring the progress and  3 chicks have hatched and they are growing healthly. Here are 2 photos credited to him. After 10-14 days from the day of hatching the threesome should have fledged................




















No comments:

Post a Comment