Followers Do tag here to follow my latest posting

MikeBirder - Malaysian Birds

Hi

Welcome to my Malaysian Birding Blog. I migrated to blogspot.com as my blog at multiply.com closed shop in 2012. I wish to showcase all Malaysian birds that I have photographed whether here or overseas. My countdown of lifers started in 2005. Coming to Oct 2022 my countdown of lifers photograph has reached
559/688 species of birds of Malaysia in photos.

My shooting gear was a EF400mm f4 DO lens and Canon 7D body which to me is the ideal setup for mobility and bird chasing at that time. Eventhen the weight over my shoulder is more that 5.5 kg. As of June 2016 I have also acquired a Fuji XF 100-400mm OIS lens to complement my travelling cum birding trip overseas. My Fuji X-T2 went kaput recently and I upgraded to the X-T5 in 2023 ; the weight over my shoulder is much lighter now by 30%. In December 2018 I acquired the Nikon Coolpix P1000 as supplementary camera for distance shooting of 3000mm.
Fuji have finally made available their new XF 200-600mm lens which I yet to decide to spend another RM10,000. As for Fuji body I will stop with X-T5 36megapixel ..........

I am a weekend birder. Do feel free to drop me a line at mikebirding@gmail.com and I see whether you can tag along in my outings. My usual day trip is just an hour ride away to Hulu Langat, Lancang, Kemensah, Krau, Awana, Hulu Kali, Gombak Ole Road, Fraser's Hill , Bukit Tinggi and KSNP & Coastal Sg Janggut Jeram side of the coast . Overnite trip to Merapoh & Cameron, Air Hitam and further north to Kuala Sidim is a seldom affair but for lifer we travel. Panti in Johor is another good birding site that I yet to go. Then there are the Borneo birds of Sabah and Sarawak of Malaysia which I seriously much go to chalk up more lifers. This I did in 2018 to Sepilok Sandakan and Kinabalu Park. Next Danum and LahatDatu.......

WARNING Birding is an addiction once you started its hard to stop. The wifey and children are now birding widow and orphan.

ALL PHOTOS IN THIS BLOG ARE COPYRIGHT OF MIKEBIRDER. KINDLY SEEK PERMISSION FROM THE OWNER IF YOU want to use them for commercial purposes.

Translate

Search for Malaysian Bird Photos

Sunday 7 October 2018

Avian Field Report September 2018 - Birding from Sandakan Sabah



I have two trips lined-up  to Sandakan- Sepilok for last quarter of 2018. The first one  was in September by invitation from "Menace". This is my first dedicated birding excursion to Sabah for 4 days 3 nites. Sandakan is an ideal  Start Point to other birding sites namely the nearest one is Sepilok with RDC and canopy walk. It is also about  2.5 hours out to Kinabatangan Sukau, Danum site etc. I relied on my buddy Den to arrange everything from accommodation to car hire and makan makan in town. Thanks again buddy and  also  to his friends' hospitality of the locals especially Peter, Ong, Chui and Hou.

Travelling light on AirAsia with one checkin luggage (20kg), haversack and hand-carry tripod
I was good to go. Took the last Bus out to KLIA2 from Sentral reaching the airport terminal at slightly before 1 am. As usually we drop in  Plaza Lounge for free food but alas they is no easy couch to take a snooze unlike in KLIA main. Anyway we make a do what they offer. Check in starts at 4am plus and then it was  a waiting game.

Our flight out was on schedule for once...6.30am  and touching down 10 minutes early before 9.00 am at Sandakan International Airport. We took our pre-booked Axia for  4+3 days to go about town for makan-makan and transit  to our birding sites. Our wonderful Mark's Lodge (www.themarkslodgehotel.com)  is just 15 minutes from the  airport. It is in the new business district of Sandakan about 15-20 minutes to Sepilok. So plenty of food around and R&R.

The same operator  also own the Sepilok Forest Edge Resort which have cheaper hostel bed accommodation for budget contraint birders. It  is walking distance (1.5 km) to RDC Sepilok and the Orang Utan Sanctuary. They also have private chalets as shown in their brochure which are priced  reasonable for twin sharing 2 pax. SFE Resort have some good trail  where you may chance on star birds like the Giant Pitta,  Blue-crown Pitta, Black headed Pitta and  Chestnut Necklaced Partridge. On out outing we manage to see mousedeer too.

We birders are always on a budget we suggest that they provide free transit to RDC entrance on call as a free perk..... an electrical buggy for 6 seater will come in handy for the 1.5km.

Lifer 1 Sabah Partridge aka chestnut-necklaced 




















If you are staying in Marks Lodge hotel  you can drop by SFE Resort to bird there which we did as they are affiliated. However  I suggest you contact the operator so that they have their local  bird guide to show you about and to get the latest sightings. Don't forget to tip them. There you can have a good lunch meal served in an open setting which you can bird in the surrounding especially the many sunbirds and endemic dusky munia.

Ashy Tailorbird 

Purple-naped Sunbird and Copper-throated Sunbird are easy catch here.









Trogon are aplenty like the Red-naped,Scarlet and Diard's.


Bulbuls like the Puff-throated and Buff-chested were also sighted. We did manage to see the Great Slaty Woodpecker but no photo to show. The pair we saw came down to 10 ft but were skirttish. Too bad...........















A rather worned grey-cheeked bulbul with a rather hooked beak.







The common Chestnut-winged babbler (below)


Reptiles and Squirrels are aplenty about SFE Resort so best you keep to their trails

Most of our lifers where from Sepilok RDC and a morning excursion to Sukau. I am happy to chalked up another 6 lifers on this trip.

Lifer 2 Black-headed Pitta


Lifer 3-Sunda Blue 

Lifer 4- Bornean Brown
Lifer 5-Black-faced aka Bornean Banded KF







Malaysian Blue Fc





Lifer 6-White-crowned



Woodswallow along the way to Sukau

Charlotte's Bulbul aka Buff-vented. I do not consider it a lifer but a subspecies

No comments:

Post a Comment