Followers Do tag here to follow my latest posting

MikeBirder - Malaysian Birds

Hi

Welcome to my Malaysian Birding Blog. I migrated to blogspot.com as my blog at multiply.com closed shop in 2012. I wish to showcase all Malaysian birds that I have photographed whether here or overseas. My countdown of lifers started in 2005. Coming to Oct 2022 my countdown of lifers photograph has reached
559/688 species of birds of Malaysia in photos.

My shooting gear was a EF400mm f4 DO lens and Canon 7D body which to me is the ideal setup for mobility and bird chasing at that time. Eventhen the weight over my shoulder is more that 5.5 kg. As of June 2016 I have also acquired a Fuji XF 100-400mm OIS lens to complement my travelling cum birding trip overseas. My Fuji X-T2 went kaput recently and I upgraded to the X-T5 in 2023 ; the weight over my shoulder is much lighter now by 30%. In December 2018 I acquired the Nikon Coolpix P1000 as supplementary camera for distance shooting of 3000mm.
Fuji have finally made available their new XF 200-600mm lens which I yet to decide to spend another RM10,000. As for Fuji body I will stop with X-T5 36megapixel ..........

I am a weekend birder. Do feel free to drop me a line at mikebirding@gmail.com and I see whether you can tag along in my outings. My usual day trip is just an hour ride away to Hulu Langat, Lancang, Kemensah, Krau, Awana, Hulu Kali, Gombak Ole Road, Fraser's Hill , Bukit Tinggi and KSNP & Coastal Sg Janggut Jeram side of the coast . Overnite trip to Merapoh & Cameron, Air Hitam and further north to Kuala Sidim is a seldom affair but for lifer we travel. Panti in Johor is another good birding site that I yet to go. Then there are the Borneo birds of Sabah and Sarawak of Malaysia which I seriously much go to chalk up more lifers. This I did in 2018 to Sepilok Sandakan and Kinabalu Park. Next Danum and LahatDatu.......

WARNING Birding is an addiction once you started its hard to stop. The wifey and children are now birding widow and orphan.

ALL PHOTOS IN THIS BLOG ARE COPYRIGHT OF MIKEBIRDER. KINDLY SEEK PERMISSION FROM THE OWNER IF YOU want to use them for commercial purposes.

Translate

Search for Malaysian Bird Photos

Sunday 17 March 2019

Avian Birding Site - Migrant Birds Genting Highlands @ Banjaran Titiwangsa

Prologue from yester years

Ulu Kali Genting Highland sits right smack in the Titiwangsa range which stretches 480 km from down under of Peninsula Malaysia until Phuket Thailand. This mountain range is a part of the Tenasserim Range, Phu Khao Tanaosī in Thai, which is the geographical name of a mountain chain forming a natural border between Burma and Thailand.
The period Feb - May of the year spell migrant birds take the flight to return to their natural breeding grounds back in the northern hemisphere. Basing on my sightings of some exotic species at Ulu Kali; I can say that Genting peak is a strategic stopover for  migratory birds enroute to the north!  I have sighted the white morph APF here. Then I have a glimpse of the rufous long-tailed APF but alas no photo then.

The birds flying home during early dawn or late dusk and some in the dark; do encounter hazards of bright lights from building and spotlights which become a beacon which blurred birds vision causing them to hit darken solid walls, lighted glass window and chain fencing. Unlike bats which have sonar built in their system; birds rely only on their vision guided by moon and starlight. A few years back I am fortunate to come face to face with a Hooded Pitta which was disorientated after hitting some structure at the Radar station the night before. Luckily it was not seriously injured; it was freed in my presence at 10am. However, it was not so lucky for a Chestnut-winged Cuckoo which probably injured its neck and spine which may have paralyzed its body. I cut short my birding and rushed it to Zoo Negara hoping the vet can do something to help the poor creature.

Other chance sighting of  rarity like Rufous-headed Robin, Rubythroat, Little Bunting and fly-by raptors like the Eurasian Sparrowhawk have been recorded here. 

Meanwhile, you fellow birders who do not want to go too far up Fraser's or Cameron or even Maxwell can opt to come to Genting Highland because the chances are good for "birding" high rollers to win big time................cheerio and good luck.


Present time
In the month of  March 2019, we managed to sight several good birds. Glad to meet again a pair of Siberian Blue Thrush here. The pair were most obliging and stayed for long periods for us birders that were there to shoot to their heart content. The pair is most possibly in its return leg back to their homeland. Still hoping for a Eye-browed and Scaly Thrush to drop by...........................
























Banjaran Titiwangsa is the flying route of the many passage migrants and wintering birds both ways. In March  I would say is a peak season for the return flight. Ulu Kali with its bountiful food source is a stopover station for these birds to fatten up and then moving up Tenasserim range of Thailand and Andaman Burma.


Yellow-browed Warbler is a regular sighting here. Wish it was the Hume's but alias the pale legs and beaks and prominent barring give it away. Both are from the same province but one preferred to visit down SEA whilst the latter to the westerly side towards India. Hume's is a vagrant to southern Thai though but no record sighting in peninsula...





















The Siberian blue below have been appearing in UK since last year. I expect it to remain here until next year. Its coat is turning to its adult plumage as compared to the shot I took in January. We will see..............



The Grey Wagtail is another winter visitor.  It looks rather fatten up. Ready to go home liao...........
































The Male Mugimaki was not  been seen but the female Fc was still around in March. Sad to hear from Pak Long that one MFc hit its guard glass window a few weeks back and died...............








No comments:

Post a Comment