Followers Do tag here to follow my latest posting

MikeBirder - Malaysian Birds

Hi

Welcome to my Malaysian Birding Blog. I migrated to blogspot.com as my blog at multiply.com closed shop in 2012. I wish to showcase all Malaysian birds that I have photographed whether here or overseas. My countdown of lifers started in 2005. Coming to Sept 2026 my countdown of lifers photograph has reached
600/688 species of birds of Malaysia in photos.

My shooting gear was a EF400mm f4 DO lens and Canon 7D body which to me is the ideal setup for mobility and bird chasing at that time. Eventhen the weight over my shoulder is more that 5.5 kg. As of June 2016 I have also acquired a Fuji XF 100-400mm OIS lens to complement my travelling cum birding trip overseas. My Fuji X-T2 went kaput recently and I upgraded to the X-T5 in 2023 ; the weight over my shoulder is much lighter now by 30%. In December 2018 I acquired the Nikon Coolpix P1000 as supplementary camera for distance shooting of 3000mm.
Fuji have finally made available their new XF 200-600mm lens which I yet to decide to spend another RM10,000. As for Fuji body I will stop with X-T5 36megapixel ..........

I am a weekend birder. Do feel free to drop me a line at mikebirding@gmail.com and I see whether you can tag along in my outings. My usual day trip is just an hour ride away to Hulu Langat, Lancang, Kemensah, Krau, Awana, Hulu Kali, Gombak Ole Road, Fraser's Hill , Bukit Tinggi and KSNP & Coastal Sg Janggut Jeram side of the coast . Overnite trip to Merapoh & Amp; Cameron, Air Hitam and further north to Kuala Sidim is a seldom affair but for lifer we travel. Panti in Johor is another good birding site that I yet to go. Then there are the Borneo birds of Sabah and Sarawak of Malaysia which I seriously much go to chalk up more lifers. This I did in 2018 to Sepilok Sandakan and Kinabalu Park. Next Danum and LahatDatu . In 2024 I visited a new happening birding spot in Talang Seremban.......

WARNING Birding is an addiction once you started its hard to stop. The wifey and children are now birding widow and orphan.

ALL PHOTOS IN THIS BLOG ARE COPYRIGHT OF MIKEBIRDER. KINDLY SEEK PERMISSION FROM THE OWNER IF YOU want to use them for commercial purposes.

Translate

Search for Malaysian Bird Photos

Wednesday, 30 September 2026

SHEARWATER (2/4) - Tropical Shearwater (Pelagic Lifer 600/688) September 2026

Photo courtesy of AT

Photo courtesy of LowKH

This Tropical Shearwater is the first record sighting in the waters of peninsula Malaysia namely Tekun Perak @ Pulau Perak about 130km off the coast of Kedah. It was first sighted by our spotter XianLim saying aloud a Short-tailed which was then reconfirmed a probable Tropical shearwater. With its guidance every one of us manage to shoot the rarity vagrant which have wandered off from the Indian Ocean go the straits of Malacca. 

Our boatman was just fantastic as it chases down the bird for a good 5 minutes without missing a beat at 35-40 knots The boat was bumping up and down as we try to shoot it on the move,. Side by side with the bird gliding over the waves; we hope it will settle down in the water. As it tired out we saw it landed off about 300m away as we move nearer for some better shots. It is easier to shoot it when it start to fly off. Surely it did and we got sharper pictures for that moment. Everyone  were happy to record this lifer!.

Photo courtesy of XL

 

Streaked as compared

Streaked shearwater feeding amongst big fishes chasing up the anchovies




My take,,,,..thought I did not get it! Yahooooo my 600th lifer and a rarity

No comments:

Post a Comment