Followers Do tag here to follow my latest posting

MikeBirder - Malaysian Birds

Hi

Welcome to my Malaysian Birding Blog. I migrated to blogspot.com as my blog at multiply.com closed shop in 2012. I wish to showcase all Malaysian birds that I have photographed whether here or overseas. My countdown of lifers started in 2005. Coming to Sept 2026 my countdown of lifers photograph has reached
600/688 species of birds of Malaysia in photos.

My shooting gear was a EF400mm f4 DO lens and Canon 7D body which to me is the ideal setup for mobility and bird chasing at that time. Eventhen the weight over my shoulder is more that 5.5 kg. As of June 2016 I have also acquired a Fuji XF 100-400mm OIS lens to complement my travelling cum birding trip overseas. My Fuji X-T2 went kaput recently and I upgraded to the X-T5 in 2023 ; the weight over my shoulder is much lighter now by 30%. In December 2018 I acquired the Nikon Coolpix P1000 as supplementary camera for distance shooting of 3000mm.
Fuji have finally made available their new XF 200-600mm lens which I yet to decide to spend another RM10,000. As for Fuji body I will stop with X-T5 36megapixel ..........

I am a weekend birder. Do feel free to drop me a line at mikebirding@gmail.com and I see whether you can tag along in my outings. My usual day trip is just an hour ride away to Hulu Langat, Lancang, Kemensah, Krau, Awana, Hulu Kali, Gombak Ole Road, Fraser's Hill , Bukit Tinggi and KSNP & Coastal Sg Janggut Jeram side of the coast . Overnite trip to Merapoh & Amp; Cameron, Air Hitam and further north to Kuala Sidim is a seldom affair but for lifer we travel. Panti in Johor is another good birding site that I yet to go. Then there are the Borneo birds of Sabah and Sarawak of Malaysia which I seriously much go to chalk up more lifers. This I did in 2018 to Sepilok Sandakan and Kinabalu Park. Next Danum and LahatDatu . In 2024 I visited a new happening birding spot in Talang Seremban.......

WARNING Birding is an addiction once you started its hard to stop. The wifey and children are now birding widow and orphan.

ALL PHOTOS IN THIS BLOG ARE COPYRIGHT OF MIKEBIRDER. KINDLY SEEK PERMISSION FROM THE OWNER IF YOU want to use them for commercial purposes.

Translate

Search for Malaysian Bird Photos

Thursday, 1 October 2026

SHEARWATER 3/4- Wedged-tailed Shearwater (lifer 601/688 Pelagic 3/30) September 2026

Wedge-tailed shearwaters feed pelagically  on fish, squid and crustaceans. Their diet is 66% fish, of which the most commonly taken is goatfish. The species was thought to mostly take food from surface feeding, but observations of feeding wedge-tails suggested that contact-dipping, where birds flying close to the surface snatch prey from the water was the most commonly used hunting technique. However, a 2001 study which deployed maximum depth recorders found that 83% of wedge-tails dived during foraging trips with a mean maximum depth of 14 m (46 ft) and that they could achieve a depth of 66 m.
This is my third Shearwater of Malaysia .....other than the Short-tailed whicha Pacific ocean bird but still frequently sighted in northern west coast seas of peninsula Malaysia. If you see that the legs are longer than its tail it most likely the bird. In future there may be even a Sooty been blown to our seas.
They are open sea dwellers and are sea  duck (web footed). In Malacca straits, they are visitors in July - November. We were fortunate to see many small feeding groups of a few to 10 birds. You can see them along the way to Pulau Perak a distance of 180 odd km. Feeding amongst terns. 

They are medium size pelagic of upto 1.5 feet /46cm. Overall its dark brown body in entirety.  There is pale morph which looks like Streaked but the beak is still black unlike the pale beak of the Streaked. Of course the wedged-tail shape when maneuvering & shearing the surface of waves; feet are red and when flying its tail is wedged as per se.

They breeds in Indian and Pacific Islands and many records in the coast of Australia Islands. They are monogamous for good unless failed nesting may split the pair.... 

A pair of Streaked Shearwater feeding amongst the many Wedged-tail


Tail is wedged

 

No comments:

Post a Comment